James R. Touchstone
James Touchstone is a partner in Jones & Mayer. Mr. Touchstone is the Litigation Department Manager for the firm. His primary practice areas include litigation of civil rights actions, police representation, tort defense, business disputes, and employment/discrimination claims.
Mr. Touchstone’s representation has included the defense of a number of civil rights lawsuits alleging a variety of claims ranging from excessive force claims arising from officer-involved-shootings to false arrest claims. He has significant trial experience in both State and Federal Court. In addition, he assists police agencies in drafting of policies and procedures to ensure compliance by these agencies with the most recent state and federal case law. Mr. Touchstone has also defended literally hundreds of Pitchess motions in both the trial and appellate courts. He also provides general legal advice to police agencies on a variety of day-to-day issues that arise during the course of performing law enforcement duties. Finally, Mr. Touchstone provides representation to police agencies on civil forfeiture actions, which complement traditional law enforcement activities. He has also represented clients in civil appellate matters.
Mr. Touchstone has been practicing law since 1996, when he received his law degree from the University of California, Davis, School of Law (King Hall). While in law school, Mr. Touchstone served as editor for the Law Review from 1994 to 1996. He received the American Jurisprudence Award for bankruptcy. Mr. Touchstone received his undergraduate degree from the University of California, Riverside, in 1990. He joined the law offices of Jones & Mayer in February 2009.
Mr. Touchstone is general counsel for California State Sheriff’s Association, California Police Chiefs Association and the California Peace Officers’ Association. He is also on the Board of Directors for Law Enforcement of Ontario (“LEO”), the Board of Directors for the Scheu Family YMCA of Upland and a former member of the Board of Directors for the Chaffey College Foundation. In addition, Mr. Touchstone has served as a lecturer at the University of California, Riverside Extension Program, on the subject of civil procedure and a guest lecturer at Campbell University on the subject of police liability.
Areas of Practice
- Municipal Law
- J.D., University of California, Davis, School of Law (King Hall) 1996; Law Review Editor 1994-1996; American Jurisprudence Award, Bankruptcy
- B.S., Business Administration, University of California, Riverside, 1990
- United States Supreme Court
- California Supreme Court
- United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- United States District Court for the Central District of California
- United States District Court for the Southern District of California
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of California
- United States District Court for the Northern District of California
- American Bar Association, Section of Litigation
- State Bar of California
- Litigation Section, State Bar of California
- Federal Bar Association
- San Bernardino County Bar Association
KEEP IN TOUCH
NEED ADVICE?CONTACT US TODAY